Happy Spring Equinox! This weekend we celebrate a Full Moon in Virgo and the official start of the spring season. Spring is a time associated with new beginnings. It signifies renewal, rebirth and an awakening. We also associate spring with longer days, warmer weather, spring break and spring cleaning.
I’m sure most of us have experienced clean up week, or what was supposed to be our spring break, growing up. Our parents made us deep clean the house, and switch out our winter clothes for spring and summer clothes. But what we didn’t know was that as we were cleaning away the dust, dirt and dander, we were also clearing out the old stagnant energy that had been collecting in our household over the winter.
If you’ve ever heard someone say cleanliness is next to Godliness, they were right! When you physically clean your home you’re also shifting the energy in your space. When you clear out the negative energy you make room for positive energy to enter and transform your life!
Here is our spring cleaning ritual for clearing out the energy of your home!
Deep cleaning consists of not just cleaning the surface and most used areas, but also cleaning those areas that are not often seen or touched. The dust that’s been collecting on the ceiling fan and on top of the refrigerator, the dirt accumulating on the baseboards and the junk in the closets and cabinets. All of it possesses energy which becomes stagnant when it sits in your home over time. When you deep clean your home, you are renewing its energy and yours as well.
A great tool to enhance your deep cleaning is Florida water. Add it to your floor wash (mop water) to energetically cleanse the rooms and surfaces. Everything the smell touches is cleansed.
Open the Windows
Open the windows and let some fresh air in to circulate throughout the home. You will be simultaneously releasing the old stagnant air and energy from the winter months out of the house.
Smudging is a tradition of purifying or cleansing the negative energy of a person or space. There are four elements involved in a smudge:
- The container, usually an abalone shell, represents water.
- Sacred plant (palo santo, sage, sweetgrass), gift from mother earth.
- The fire produced from lighting the sacred plant represents the third element.
- The smoke produced from the fire represents air, the fourth element.
Here are instructions for smudging using our signature smudge kit:
- Gather your kit and open a door or window.
- Set your intention and say a prayer or mantra.
- Light your sage, then let it smolder.
- Slowly walk around your space, guiding the smoke to every corner with the fowl feather, repeating your prayer or mantra. Let the ashes fall into the abalone shell.
- Guide the smoke out the door or window upon completion.
- Extinguish the sage or let it burn out in the abalone shell.
- Light the palo santo until it turns red. Slowly walk around your space and invite the good vibes into your home with the smoke.
- Use the selenite wand to cleanse your aura by waving it around your body. You can also use it to cleanse your crystals by placing them on top of the wand.
Create a Protection Grid
Crystals such as black tourmaline, black obsidian, smoky quartz and selenite are great protectors of the home. You can use them alone or together to create a grid of protection for your home and those that inhabit it. If you have multiple floors, do this on your lower level. The crystals will protect the floors above as well. In the farthest four corners of your home place a crystal of your choice. My favorites are black tourmaline and selenite. I place them in the corners together to cleanse the energy and transmute it.
Protect Your Front Door
Keep the energy in your home pure by protecting it from those who may enter with negative energy. You can do this by placing a piece of black tourmaline on each side of the door. You can also sprinkle black salt across your threshold. If you’re worried about it blowing away you can place black salt in 2 small bowls on each side of the door for protection as well.